Outdoor First Aid Training
ITC Certificate in Outdoor First Aid (RQF Level 3, 16+ hours)
For Outdoor First Aid in Newcastle upon Tyne, or we can come to you, look no further. This Life Saving Training course has been created for outdoor instructors, Duke of Edinburgh and Scout Leaders and participants, teachers and anyone who enjoys being in the outdoors. This course prepares participants to be able to manage incidents in remote locations for prolonged periods where help may not just be a few minutes away. This course also validates National Governing Body Awards including Mountain Leader (ML), Single Pitch Award (SPA), Walking Group Leader (WGL), Basic Expedition Leader Award (BELA), Mountain Bike Leader, Canoe/Kayak Coach etc. The course can be tailored to the individuals on the course.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recognised Emergency First Aid at Work certificate can also be provided if requested before the start of the course.
This Outdoor First Aid qualification is externally regulated and meets the necessary standards to appear upon a national qualifications framework. No previous experience is required to take part in this course.
What’s covered on the course?
- The role and responsibilities of the first aider
- Special considerations for the outdoor first aider
- Making incident safety decisions in the outdoor environment
- Taking and recording vital signs in a format appropriate to hand over to Rescue Team or other emergency services, making triage decisions and casualty monitoring
- Improvise casualty care techniques when standard techniques cannot be applied successfully
- Incident Procedure – ‘Primary Survey’ including casualties wearing outdoor clothing/equipment
- Incident Procedure – ‘Secondary Survey’ - including casualties wearing outdoor clothing/equipment
- Infection control
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) - including casualties wearing outdoor clothing/equipment, with and without assistance
- Practical use of a defibrillator/AED
- Record keeping and First Aid kit advice
- Removal of outdoor clothing/equipment
- Insulating and sheltering a casualty from the elements
- How to recognise and deal with a wide range of incidents including those that can occur in an outdoor environment
Outdoor First Aid Emergency Action (8+ hours)
Spend time away from the urban environment? Perhaps you enjoy walking, climbing or exercising outside and need to know a bit more about looking after someone where help might not just be around the corner. After all, when people need help outside, there are a few extra factors you’ll need to take into account.
The Outdoor First Aid Emergency Action course lasts at least 8 hours and covers the essentials of managing illness and injury in the outdoors, in all types of weather. It can also be suitable for some instructor awards which don’t require the full 16 hour qualification. No previous experience is required to take part in this course.